I will never regret knowing this core principle of health
If you are perplexed by the comparison between health and Jenga, let me explain.
There can be many definitions of health, but I hope you will be willing to go all the way down to the atomic level where everything in the world and the universe is the same. The only difference between a tree and your dog is the arrangement of energy particles. The variables are infinite.
Health is an optimal arrangement of the body’s energy particles, nothing is added, nothing is subtracted. A healthy body can be compared to a completely assembled Jenga tower, stable and solid, able to resist external factors.
From the beginning when an egg is fertilized by a single sperm, this optimal particle arrangement, a.k.a. health, plays a crucial role in life. Many things can go wrong during fetal development due to genetic abnormalities, nutrient deficiencies, and chemical or physical trauma, but much more goes wrong as we and our dogs age.
As life progresses, the body becomes similar to a Jenga tower in three different ways:
- External forces affect its integrity
- Missing nutrients harm its stability
- Added pieces affect its equilibrium
Real-life examples that reflect these three points
1. Accidents, falls, fractures, cuts and other injuries are examples of external forces that can weaken the body in a reversible or irreversible way.
2. Missing nutrients are the missing Jenga blocks within the body, and nutrient-depleted food is the new normal. If only a few building blocks are missing they make the body weaker, but it will still “stand.” However, at some point, the system deteriorates to a degree where the body is no longer able to maintain the integrity of the organs, cells, and their function...and you know what happens then.
3. Adding foreign substances such as chemicals, pharmaceutical drugs, and pollution is the equivalent of adding more pieces to the Jenga tower of health, which will eventually topple over.
How does this apply to real-life?
1. Prevent physical injuries and maintain strength. Safety is number one when it comes to preventing accidents whenever possible. Injuries can also be caused by weakness or too much exercise. A couch potato is more likely to be weak and become injured. Ultramarathon runners will stress their bodies in an unnatural way, which comes with consequences. MODERATION IS THE KEY.
2. Ensure that you or your animal friend receives the following four essential nutrient groups:
With the exception of some vitamins, these essential nutrients have to be consumed in food and supplements. Supplements are important because food is no longer enough (more info here).
3. Avoid foreign substances whenever you can.
Anything that has become a part of the body but isn't supposed to be is the same as adding pieces to the Jenga tower of health.
THERE IS NOT ONE SINGLE SUBSTANCE THAT IS FOREIGN TO THE BODY THAT DOES NOT CAUSE SOME SORT OF BURDEN TO THE EQUILIBRIUM OF HEALTH.
What I mean is that any artificial chemical, preservative, or pharmaceutical drug, with the exception of a few hormones (for example, thyroid hormones, adrenal hormones, or insulin — which are not foreign to the body), comes at a cost.
I am not suggesting that we should never use any prescription medication, antibiotics, or anesthesia. It is just important to acknowledge that they are “the additional and foreign pieces” in the Jenga tower of health and it is an extra burden on the equilibrium.
The pharmaceutical industry does not acknowledge this because they are in the business of making drugs. However, our goal should be to return the body to the optimal and original Jenga tower of health with no pieces missing and no pieces added.
In addition, exercise and fitness will also strengthen the body's stability.
Let me give you some examples of how I deal with this challenge.
I am far from perfect, especially when chocolate or yummy thin crust pizza is near, but I also do my best to prevent the Jenga tower of health from toppling over, and you can too when:
- You minimize processed food for you or your dog.
- You read ingredients, and try to make food at home. Even items such as almond butter can be made at home.
You think twice when offered a prescription drug, and instead, read and ask questions before you pop any pills that help one symptom but bring on three others. Drugs are foreign and will always burden the body in some way.
Many people are scared of what would happen if they didn't take the suggested meds. Of course, there are some medications that are needed, but based on my own experience in practice, our society could easily reduce the use of drugs by 75% with no ill effects.
In contrast, almost every senior person I know is on warfarin, which is in fact a low dose of rat poison to thin the blood and prevent blood clots. They are never told that, for example, turmeric can do the same thing and it also appears to prevent cancer.
I can't resist the temptation to post the drug info summary here from the FDA website:
The important thing here is that no one, except you, can make decisions about your medication. Take Omega-3s instead of painkillers, eat well to prevent disease, exercise, and use a chiropractor or physical therapist or acupuncture and massage to avoid the use of drugs.
If a few pieces are added to your Jenga tower of health, it will be okay. But a senior with 5-10 different drugs on board will usually come alive and feel better when some of those drugs are eliminated. I have seen that with many dogs as well as my mother and a few other seniors.
How do you shield yourself and your loved ones from overprescribing?
You have to be gutsy, you have to ask questions, and you have to take charge and be there for yourself and your dog.
I dare to say that this approach will create deeper health and keep your own and your dog’s Jenga tower of health solid and stable for many years to come.
I wish you the very best!
Featured products related to this article
Dr. Peter Dobias, DVM has 30 years of experience as a veterinarian. He graduated as a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine in 1988 in the Czech Republic and obtained the Canadian Certificate of Qualification in 1995. He is currently licensed in the European Union, and his unique approach to healing and nutrition helps holistically minded dog lovers worldwide.
Dr. Dobias strongly believes that disease prevention, natural nutrition and supplements, the right exercise and a drug free approach to medicine can add years to your dog's life.
As a formulator of his all-natural vitamin and supplement line and co-inventor of natural, chemical free flea and tick control, FleaHex® and TickHex®, his unique healing system and products currently hold the highest independent five star customer rating. For more information click here.
Any general recommendations that Dr. Dobias makes are not a substitute for the appropriate veterinary care and are for informational and educational purposes only.