One of our readers, Lisa Snyders, has shared her experience with raw food and I thought it would be nice to share it:
“I started feeding raw to my 2 dogs 10 years ago. One a 7 year old basset had just quit eating. We could find nothing wrong with her other than she would not eat. At the same time our then 8 year old blue heeler/shepherd cross had become extremely aggressive and we were thinking we would be putting both dogs down.
Thankfully a friend suggested us to try a raw diet. At that point we were willing to try anything. Our Basset Hound immediately started eating and slowly put weight back on. Our other dog took to the food right away, though her transformation was a little slower. After only 2 months, there were huge differences in both dogs. The basset was eating,energetic and just happy, The heelerX had calmed down considerably and was no longer acting in an aggressive manner because she was no longer being poisoned by her food. In the end we had another 7 years with both dogs. At the ages of 14 (basset) and 15 (heelerX) we said goodbye. Never an easy thing to do, but it was easier knowing we had been able to double the years they spent with us, and they were good years. We now have 4 other mixed breed dogs, and we feed all of them a raw, natural diet!”
PS: If you have a raw dog food story to share, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org . We would love to hear from you.
© Dr. Peter Dobias, DVM