GRAPE AND RAISIN TOXICITY IN DOGS
By Dr. Peter Dobias
Some types of grapes and raisins have been shown to cause kidney failure in dogs when eaten in quantity. Here is what you should know
The basis for kidney failure following consumption of grapes or raisins is unclear and is currently being studied in the veterinary community. If you suspect or confirm that your dog ingested raisins or grapes, have your dog immediately assess by your veterinarian or local emergency provider.
The amount of grapes or raisins that may cause renal failure is not exactly known, so any amount could potentially be dangerous. As for treatment of recent ingestion, inducing vomiting and administering activated charcoal is recommended. The dose of activated charcoal is based on the packaging. I recommend giving 1.5 x the amount/kg of the human dose ( 150 lbs dog would get 1.5x more than a 150 lbs person )
Intravenous fluid therapy should be administed for 48 hours. During this time the patient should be monitored for increased values of kidney parameters ( blood and urine tests ). Monitor your dog for any vomiting, increased thirst or urination.
Supplements to be administered:
- Renafood for 3 months+
- Probiotics 3 months+
- GreenMin – ongoing basis
- Omega oils – ongoing basis
- Zyflamend – 1 to 3 months
Recheck kidney values again in 2 – 4 week and 3 months. If your dog’s kidneys show signs of damage that is more permanent, follow this kidney disease treatment protocol